RULES - Focus On
Members of the British Society of Underwater Photographers and those who participate in the Society’s competitions are expected to observe the Underwater Photographers Code of Conduct
1. All entries must have been taken underwater.
2. The entrant must be the photographer.
3. Aquarium shots are not eligible. Swimming pool shots are allowed where they are appropriate for the nature or theme of the competition.
4. Images entered must not have come first, second or third in a national or international competition, such as the British and Irish Underwater Photography Championship, BSoUP/ Diver Print Competition, Image, U/W Photographer of the Year, Wildlife Photographer of the Year, Marine Conservation Society, Antibes festival of underwater images, etc. Within BSoUP competitions, images that have won any competition cannot be re-used in subsequent BSoUP competitions. However, individual images in any BSoUP portfolio that did not win may be re-entered in Focus On. Similarly, individual images that haven’t previously won a Focus On competition may be entered as part of a subsequent portfolio. Bear in mind the judge may be looking for new images.
5. The competition is judged anonymously so please do not include your name on the imageor in the file metadata.
Competition Image Requirements
1. Entries must be digital and in JPG format. No PowerPoint or other formats will be accepted.
2. Images should be formatted as follows
Maximum Resolution: 1400 pixels wide (landscape) or 1050 pixels tall (portrait)
Pixels per inch: 72
File size: less than 1MB
sRGB colour profile
The change from previous formats provides better resolution for computer based judging. Images will be optimized by the competitions secretary for projection at the BSoUP monthly meeting
Files which are not in this format will be disqualified. Larger portfolios will be rejected by the server.
See the 'Re-sizing Images for Competitions' for more details.
3. As the image will be projected, it is advisable to convert it to sRGB, which is a better profile for projections.
4. File names should include your name (e.g. John_Smith.jpg). Please capitalise the first letter of your given and family names as this is how your name will appear as a caption in the Compeition Slideshow Archive. Please DO NOT include the subject or any other details except your name in the image file name.
1. All entries for competitions at the monthly BSoUP meetings must be received by one minute to midnight on the Sunday 9 days before the event.
2. Images must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include details of image, camera and settings.
Copyright of all images submitted remains with the photographer. BSoUP reserves the right to use the winning images on its website, in its magazine 'in focus' and in press releases in connection with the 'Focus on'' competition. Any such images will be credited to the photographer.