RULES - Underwater Excellence
Members of the British Society of Underwater Photographers and those who participate in the Society's competitions are expected to observe the Underwater Photographers Code of Conduct
1. All entries must have been taken underwater.
2. The entrant must be the photographer.
3. Swimming pool and aquarium shots are not eligible, unless specifically allowed in a special competition.
4. Images entered must not have come first, second or third in a national or international competition, such as BSoUP's Open Portfolio or Beginners' Portfolio Competitions, the BSoUP or St Abbs Splash-Ins, BSoUP/ Diver Print Competition, Image, U/W Photographer of the Year, Wildlife Photographer of the Year, Marine Conservation Society, Antibes festival of underwater images, Dive Magazine’s British Underwater Image Festival, etc.
5. Since the competition is judged anonymously you shouldn't include your name on the images. We recommend you include copyright information (and more) in File Info without it appearing in the image. If you use Photoshop or Lightroom open the file and click on File and then select File Info from the drop down menu. You will see a tabbed dialogue box. The first tab includes Copyright Status with a drop down – select Copyrighted. In the Copyright Notice include your name (and other details if you wish). Then click on the OK button.
6. All entries are judged by the audience present at the relevant BSoUP meeting or event.
Competition Image Requirements
1. Entries must be digital and in JPG format. No PowerPoint or other formats will be accepted.
2. Images sizes must be
Landscape : maximum 1400 pixels wide
Portrait: maximum 1050 pixels high.
Resolution : 72 pixels/inch (to facilitate insertion into PowerPoint)
Files which are not in this format will be disqualified. Larger images will be rejected by the server. Smaller images may not look sharp when projected.
See the 'Re-sizing Images for Competitions' for more details but please NOTE that individual image sizes given are for guidance only
3. As the image will be projected, it is advisable to convert it to sRGB, which is a better profile for projections.
4. File names
should include the entrant's name (e.g. John_Smith_1.jpg, John Smith_2.jpg, John Smith_3.jpg). Please capitalise the first letter of your given and family names as this is how your name will appear as a caption in the Competition Slideshow Archive. Please DO NOT include the subject or any other details except your name in the image file name.
1. All entries for competitions at the monthly BSoUP meetings must be received by 10 p.m. on the Sunday 9 days before the event.
2. Images must be submitted using the Competitions entry form on the BSoUP website
Copyright of all images submitted remains with the photographer. BSoUP reserves the right to use the winning images on its website, in its magazine 'in focus' and in press releases in connection with the 'Focus on'' competition. Any such images will be credited to the photographer.