RULES - Portfolio
1. Members of the British Society of Underwater Photographers and those who participate in the Society’s competitions are expected to observe the Underwater Photographers Code of Conduct
2. All entries must have been taken underwater.
3. The entrant must be the photographer.
4. Swimming pool and aquarium shots are not eligible.
5. Images entered must not have come first, second or third in a national or international competition, such as the British and Irish Underwater Photography Championship, the St Abbs Splash-In, BSoUP/ Diver Print Competition, Image, U/W Photographer of the Year, Wildlife Photographer of the Year, Marine Conservation Society, Antibes festival of underwater images, etc. Within BSoUP competitions, images that have won any competition cannot be re-used in subsequent BSoUP competitions. However, individual images in any BSoUP portfolio that did not win may be re-entered in Focus On. Similarly, individual images that haven’t previously won a Focus On competition may be entered as part of a subsequent portfolio. Bear in mind the judge may be looking for new images.
6. The competition is judged anonymously so please do not include your name on the image, but feel free to include your copyright information in the file metadata.
7. All entries for competitions at the monthly BSoUP meetings must be received by one minute to midnight on the Sunday 9 days before the event.
8. Digital images must be submitted as attachments to an email addressed to email@example.com..Please includes details of subject, location camera make, mode,l lens,and camera settings in the body of the email.
9. The sponsor of the competition reserves the right to publish the winning portfolios.
10. Since the competition is judged anonymously you shouldn't include your name on the image. We recommend you include copyright information (and more) in File Info without it appearing in the image. If you use Photoshop or Lightroom open the file and click on File and then select File Info from the drop down menu. You will see a tabbed dialogue box. The first tab includes Copyright Status with a drop down – select Copyrighted. In the Copyright Notice include your name (and other details if you wish). Then click on the OK button.
Format of competition entries
10. Entries must be in JPG format. PowerPoint and other formats will be not be accepted.
11. The portfolio must comprise six complete photographs. Each photograph does not need to be defined with a border and may not overlap.
12. The portfolio of six images should submitted as one jpeg file laid out on a black background 1400 pixels wide by 1050 pixels tall at a resolution of 72 pixels/inch in two rows of three images..
Maximum 1400 pixels wide and 1050 pixels high at 72 pixels/inch
Files which are not in this format will be disqualified. Larger portfolios will be rejected by the server. Smaller images may not look sharp when projected.
13. See the 'Re-sizing Images for Competitions' for more details but please NOTE that individual image sizes given are for guidance only - you may wish to include images of different sizes to those quoted. This is acceptable provided that the entry has two rows of three images that are identifiable as complete photographs and not extracts from a photograph.
14. It is advisable to convert the image to sRGB, which is a better profile for projections.
15. File names should include your name (e.g. John_Smith.jpg). Please capitalise the first letter of your given and family names as this is how your name will appear as a caption in the competition slideshow archive. DO NOT include the subject or any other details except your name in the image file name.
Copyright in all images remains with the photographer. However, BSoUP reserves the right to use any or all of the images submitted to its competitions, on its website, in its magazine 'in focus', and in press releases in connection with its competitions. All images will be credited to the photographer.
Images submitted to BSoUP competitions will NOT be passed on to a third party, except to the sponsor of a competition as set out in the competition rules.
Beginners Portfolio Competition Winners
2014 Sue Guess
2013 Mark Drayton
2012 Paul Woodburn
2011 Sean Arrowsmith
2010 Will Clark
2009 Daniel Norwood
2008 David Henshaw
2007 Anna James
2006 Kam Arya
2005 Shannon Conway
2004 Judy Winterman
2003 Samantha Bean
2002 Jane Morgan
2001 Cathy Lewis
2000 Tony White
1999 Mike Maloney
1998 Gary Clarke
1997 Sue Heaps
1996 Hilary Driscoll
1995 Malcom Hey
1994 Nigel Doe
1993 Gavin Anderson
1992 Paul Naylor
1991 Howard Bunyan
1990 Dave Meates
1989 John Lee
1988 Alfredo Rock
1987 Mark Taylor
1986 Michael Wong
1985 Martin Edge
1984 Viv Pearson
1983 Linda Pitkin
1982 Mike Valentine
1981 Brian Humphries
1980 Graham Pattie